Last night we assembled our first bags for oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) propagation. We layered wet rice hulls, grass, and mushroom spawn into bags, cut slits in the sides, and hopefully in 10-21 days we will have oyster mushrooms for you all! Mira had fun spraying the hose (sometimes into the bags, sometimes just on the ground), and Quin enjoyed observing the operation from on high. This is our first foray into mushroom cultivation, and we can't wait to see how it turns out.
It is the tail end of the sugar snap pea season, to our dismay. We already ripped out some of the plants because we picked every last pea off of them, and we will pull out the rest soon. We might get one more week of peas, we'll see. We are always sorry to see the peas come to an end, but we are excited for tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and summer squash that are right around the corner!
We also discovered some ripe wild blackberries. Unfortunately there were only a few--it seems that the birds and critters knew about them before we did!
Two more of our broody hens also hatched out chicks, one hatched out 2 chicks and the other only one. These are a bit smaller clutches than we would like to see, but chicks are always cute and all 3 are doing well.